Monday, November 19, 2012

Drops of joy

 Our short holiday in Mexico (we were there barely a week and a day) was like an injection of happiness. It must be the sunlight, the food, the friends and of course, being able to spend quality time with our family, including those who live far away and whom I hadn't seen in 10 years or so. This time, upon coming back, I did not feel so homesick. The weekend was busy: I was studying like crazy, preparing an interview for a PhD project, helping the boy on some home-decorating DIY projects, baking banana muffins, making hot chocolate, chatting with our dear neighbors, unpacking, and doing loads and loads of laundry.
The interview went well, I felt confident and comfortable but I am afraid to get my hopes too high, as competition is harsh. Of course I am wishing with every cell of my being to get the position, as it would be very close to the dream job: a combination of clinical, experimental and laboratory research, for a project that would not only be applied on dogs, but on humans as well. With this whole career thing I have a strong feeling that I won't have peace on any job unless I am *doing* something for the welfare / health of anything that's alive. Maybe it's my calling, or maybe I am just arrogant but I've come to realise I would never feel satisfied in a purely commercial kind of job. Oh and I had forgotten how much I enjoy digging into a subject, learning, finding the bits and the ends that make all the concepts come together.
I am feeling grateful and finding hapiness in the small things: the first bundle of tulips of the season, our new and colourful blown glass jar, gum drops (particularly red ones) and my crazy, sparkly, nails, that I had done for the wedding to match the dress I wore. How are you doing? I hope you are having a great week.

4 comments:

  1. Lindos tulipanes... y sensación de tranquilidad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, vi los tulipanes y los tuve que comprar, además me los merecía. Creo que esto de tener esposo holandés verdaderamente fue destino porque siempre fueron mi flor favorita. Ahora toca esperar y rezar.... pero sí, me siento tranquila.

      Delete
  2. Hey! That interview is awesome news! When is it? I'll cross my fingers for you.

    Based on your last few posts (My feed had not updated in a while, so I read them all in a row) you seem to be happier than you were some time ago. I hope that's true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ! The interview was this Monday.... they said they were going to make a decision by the end of this week, so now we are angsty, waiting, hoping, wishing...
      And yes, I am feeling happier, calmer, more accepting (and grateful) of what life has to throw. It is more like a realization that what will happen will happen regardless of my knowledge, input, or actions, so I kind of gave in (which does not mean we stopped fighting... just that there is only so much we can do, and that's all we'll do).

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...