Monday, July 7, 2014

The beach, parks, summer...


I spend a lot of time taking long walks with baby Y. on the stroller, because lately it's one of the only ways in which I manage to make her sleep. I don't mind though, because the weather has been glorious and I love going on city hikes.

Last Friday I decided to head towards the beach. I had ice-cream, I people-watched, I smothered the kid in sunblock and absolutely enjoyed every ray of sunlight. It was almost too warm, because after spending the first half of the day at the park and the second one near the sea I was exhausted. I also felt guilty because it felt so much like a holiday but the boy was stuck at work. And I wanted more. So, even-though rain had been announced we decided to take our chances and went again on Saturday. The sun came out again, we had tea and sandwiches at the terrace of the Kurhaus of Scheveningen.  We had plans to go to the Aquarium, but alas it got late and we had to go back for an appointment. (It got even later because just before we took the bus back home I went to get us ice-cream and we didn't finish it on time). We are going to have to plan that outing soon. Y. can look at the reflections in a bottle of water for entertainment and she always seems so mesmerized by light that I am sure she will enjoy looking at the little fish swimming around.


I always thought I would baby-wear a lot more than I am doing it. But even-though we have a structured carrier, and a couple of baby wraps, I am never confident enough to use the baby carriers outside of the house and I am always kind of jealous of moms who've mastered the art. I do baby-wear her at home, mostly to sleep her, and she loved being carried at the airport, and on short trips to get errands. Yet, I don't know what I'm afraid of. I guess it's because she did not immediately like being worn. She fought so hard against it those first months. I had to train her to accept it... it's just not as smooth as going out with the stroller (though getting ready to go out with it and everything that we need is our own moving circus). I'm thinking I should just try and go for a walk with it to see what happens. If you have a kid are you more of a stroller-person or more of a baby-wearer? What are your secrets to the latter?

2 comments:

  1. beautiful photos as always!

    I started baby wearing when Valentina was only a few days old, so maybe that's why it's easy for us. I've actually never used my stroller! If I go somewhere and she's asleep, I just pick her up and put her in my carrier and she falls back asleep. Having her close to me when we're out makes us both feel good. I find it helps her take longer naps and she hardly ever fusses... well that was before yesterday when she still fussed despite being in her carrier.. but she's 6 weeks today so I'm pretty sure she's fussy because she's having a growth spurt. I think there are a lot of things we think we'll do when we become parents and then it's different when we actually have the baby. I know that was the case for me anyway...

    I'm so glad things are going well for you and you are enjoying the beautiful summer weather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think it has to do with getting used to it straight away, and practicing, but also, I think it has to do with your baby. Yu never liked to be swaddled tightly, so feeling so contained and having her movements restricted was something she had to get used to for a while. On the other hand we started to use the stroller for long walks since we were allowed out of the house, and we love it. You should try it!

      At 6 weeks, yeah, that is probably the famous growth spurt. And yes, you are so right, there are so many things you imagine will be in a certain way, and then it turns out you feel differently, something else is more comfortable, or of course, your kid has its own preferences / personality right from the start .

      The other day I went to a workshop though and it was nice, I think it is just a matter of trying over and over again.

      Delete

I love your comments, let's talk .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...